Appia Bio is a new startup with the mission to bring innovative cell therapies to more patients. Our novel platform can create a broad array of allogeneic NKT and T cell types, and can be further engineered to address challenges specific to tumor microenvironments. Our goal is to discover and develop allogeneic cell therapies across a broad array of cancer indications with a scalability that increases access for patients.
Our research-stage programs involve the lineage determination of hematopoietic stem cells into NKT and T cell subtypes via lentiviral programming. The scientific foundation of Appia Bio is underpinned by collaborative research led by Lili Yang (UCLA), David Baltimore (Caltech), Pin Wang (USC), and Owen Witte (UCLA). The founding management team brings broad experience in cell therapy development and company creation. We are located in the UCLA incubator CNSI Magnify.
Job opportunity: Scientist I/II; Sr. Scientist
Post date: August 21, 2020
Appia Bio is seeking an innovative Scientist ready to take on the challenge and opportunity presented by the new frontiers of cell therapy. The research programs at Appia will be focused at the intersection of immunology, cell engineering, and cancer biology. The scientist will be a key member of the scientific team that shapes a culture of intellectual rigor and collegiality at Appia.
- Drive projects forward to deliver optimized cell therapy candidates for clinical development.
- Creatively problem-solve and rigorously assess improvements to the cell technology platform to improve efficacy, particularly in difficult to treat cancers.
- Contribute to a Biology research group with a culture of scientific excellence, teamwork, and innovation.
- Develop strong relationships and communicate effectively with the executive staff, other members of the biology group, and academic founders.
Experience and qualifications
The successful candidate will be an accomplished scientist with a track record of success in academia and/or the biotechnology industry. More senior candidates will have a minimum of 5 years of research experience after their advanced degree including experience in industry. The ideal candidate may have experience in immunology, cancer biology, stem cell biology, or cell therapy engineering.
- A Ph.D. or M.D./Ph.D. in Biology or a related field.
- Highly motivated self-starter with strong presence, work ethic, exceptional interpersonal skills, and focus.
- Deep knowledge, and keen intellect for integrating novel science and emerging technologies to address complex problems.
- Outstanding communication skills with the ability to build transparent and collaborative relationships across the company and with other stakeholders of the company.
Location: UCLA Campus, Los Angeles, CA
Reporting Relationship: Reports to Chief Scientific Officer, Chief Medical Officer in interim