Career opportunity: Laboratory Manager
Reporting to the Director of Entrepreneurship and Commercialization at the California NanoSystems Institute (CNSI), the Laboratory Manager will support operations for shared use facilities including the Magnify Incubator and Technology Centers. The position will also be responsible for managing and overseeing operational/process improvement projects as assigned by the Director.
The position will work with inventors, entrepreneurs, faculty, researchers and resident company employees to accomplish CNSI’s mission to accelerate the growth and success of transformative technologies. These efforts will include optimizing operational efficiencies for the Magnify shared laboratory (10,000 sq. feet) and related space to advance technology development and commercialization of portfolio companies. The position will manage interactions between company personnel, CNSI building operations, UCLA Facilities, UCLA Environment, Health & Safety, and non-UCLA service providers as related to the scope of shared use facilities and services provided as outlined in user agreements.
Similarly, this position will support laboratory operations of CNSI’s six Technology Centers, facilitating interactions with CNSI building operations, UCLA Facilities, UCLA Environment, Health & Safety, and non-UCLA service providers as related to the scope of shared use facilities and services provided as outlined in user agreements.
Ongoing maintenance of shared laboratory instrumentation/equipment including purchasing, service, repair, inventory management, and needs assessment are also important components of this position. The Laboratory Manager will, along with the Director and team members, ensure that all use of shared facilities and associated space comply with University policies and procedures.
The Laboratory Manager must be customer-service oriented as s/he will serve as a key point of contact for the companies and the role’s primary objective is to provide an optimal user experience with the facility and related campus resources. The incumbent must have the ability to adapt quickly to changing priorities of the Magnify Incubator and Technology Centers.
- Demonstrated ability to work in teams and independently and to set priorities that accurately reflect the importance of job responsibilities.
- Demonstrated customer oriented skills to professionally, effectively, courteously and quickly respond to requests from customers and clients, including co-workers, all Departmental staff, CNSI staff, University personnel and others.
- Skill in analyzing information, problems, situations, practices and procedures to: i) Define the problem or objective ii) Recognize alternatives and their implications iii) Identify relevant concerns or factors iv) Identify patterns, tendencies and relationships v) Formulate logical and objective conclusions.
- Skill in prioritizing assignments for self and others to complete work in a timely manner when there are frequent changes in workload, pressures of deadline and competing requirements.
- Ability to organize and coordinate multiple tasks, and establish and re-establish priorities as changing circumstances dictate.
- Working knowledge and experience with University policies and procedures pertaining to accounting transactions, including on-line systems.
- Ability to work with the CNSI finance team managing annual and multi-year budgets, purchasing and other financial management functions, transactional activity such as travel reimbursement, transfer of funds, and other accounting functions.
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing, in person and by phone to convey ideas and resolve problems.
- Organizational skills to manage many competing priorities calmly, effectively, and efficiently.
- Computer skills to prepare and monitor funds, correspondence, databases, calendars, and etc. using programs including Word, Excel, Access, Calendar Creator, Quicken, electronic mail, on-line accounting systems and etc.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Science or Engineering with 4+ years experience, or a Masters Degree in Science or Engineering
Percentage of Time: 100
Location: UCLA Campus, Los Angeles, CA
Post date: October 15, 2020