Ferrologix uses magnetic nanotechnology to accelerate research and manufacturing of cellular therapies.
Market:Emerging cellular therapies have shown incredible potential as “living drugs” that achieve personalized treatments in a variety of healthcare fields and represent a growing market of $1.8 billion with a 10% CAGR. Interviews with over 235 clinicians, researchers, and industry experts identified cell purification, transfection/transduction, and QC/Release as key focus areas for cellular therapies. Ferrologix is developing single use cartridge based platforms in each of these application areas.
Technology:Ferrologix’ core technology, known as “ratcheting cytometry,” employs an array of inexpensive magnetic micropillars patterned onto a plastic substrate to form a single use cartridge. When subjected to a rotating magnetic field cells which have been labeled with a magnetic antibody can be precisely manipulated in a massively parallelized format. Various chip designs can execute a variety of functions such as rapid cell purification, quantitative separation based on surface expression, and cell co-localization with transduction/transfection reagents.
- Quick: 10X faster than current magnetic purification platforms
- Quantitative: Separate specific cell subtypes
- Closed: Aseptic operation to meet GMP standards
- Continuous: Compatible with large volumes and cell quantities
- Prototype: Currently have several operational prototypes and have initiated beta testing in partnering labs and potential customers.
- PCT Application: WO2016100234A1
- Micromagnetic Ratcheting Manipulation for Bioengineering Research | UCLA Dissertation
- Quantitative Magnetic Separation of Particles and Cells Using Gradient Magnetic Ratcheting | Small
- Flexible and Stretchable Micromagnet Arrays for Tunable Biointerfacing | Adv Mater. Journal
Company Contact:Website: www.ferrologix.com
Contact: Coleman Murray, 760-533-2826